After discovering ‘Millionaire Matchmaker’, I have to admit that Patti Stanger is my idol. Not only is she a successful businesswoman who is respected by celebrities and non-celebrities alike, she is able to find the perfect match for her clients. Whether the Millionaires she takes on are gay or straight, she seems to know exactly what to look for in a potential love match and has the tool kit to get them through that dreaded first date. Finding inspiration from Patti, I decided to come up with a short list of things you should and shouldn’t do on a first date.
1. DO NOT have more than two alcoholic drinks. This is a rule Patti implements at her ‘mixers’, which is where the Millionaire meets their potential love matches. However, even if you haven’t seen this show, it’s just common sense. Nobody finds a slurring drunkard attractive. Not only that but having one too many drinks (or bottle of wines in some cases) gives you the confidence to spill your whole life story. From “My Dad cheated on my Mum and that’s why I have a deep-rooted distrust of the human species,” to “I spend too much time with my dog,” these are things that shouldn’t be blabbed about during an initial meeting. Be patient and get to know somebody before you lay all your cards on the table, after all anticipation is key when dating.
2. DO wear your best clothes. People base their first impressions on appearance and this is something that rings true with dating. You want to communicate the notion that you can take care of yourself, as nobody will want to date somebody who appears to be looking for a stand-in Mum. Not only that but wearing your favourite figure-hugging dress will show off your best assets.
3. DO NOT have sex on the first date. Now I’m not judging people who have done this but chances are, if you have sex with a man on the first date he will lose interest. Not only that but he won’t have very much respect for you and therefore will deem you to be unworthy of ‘girlfriend material’. It’s a vicious cycle, really. He wants to have sex with you because he finds you attractive, however when you do have sex with him after having a couple of drinks and finding confidence he will move on to the next challenge. As I mentioned before, there’s nothing wrong with making the object of your affection wait to get intimate with you. Anticipation is extremely sexy and sex itself generally tends to be better after you’ve been longing for it, whilst cheekily flirting at the same time.
4. DO give out positive body language. Body language is key for any blossoming relationship, be it romantic or friendship. However it’s very important to note the difference between the way in which you respond to your friends and the way you should respond to somebody you fancy. Subtle brushes of the arm and thigh are always a winner, whilst playing with your hair and keeping eye contact (in a non serial killer like way) are other ways to show your affection. Keep your body language open and try not to fold your arms, as that gives off the impression that you’re bored and closed off from what the other person is saying.
5. DO go in for a kiss. Whilst you should hold off from having sex with the person you are dating, there’s nothing wrong with a cheeky make-out session. After all, chemistry comes from the first kiss. You can tell if you’re attracted enough to somebody to eventually get completely intimate with them on a physical level with a kiss. There are a large number of people who believe that you can tell if somebody is good in bed through their kissing style, which is another reason not to get drunk and slobber all over them!